I believe a team needs trust to be high-performing. This isn’t new news nor is it a unique opinion. What does trust on a team look like?
- Team members are open and respectful with one another.
- There are no “bad” conversations. The lens a trusting team applies is one of “this will help us be better than we already are”.
- The environment is happy, safe and focused.
- Team members look out for one another.
- Team members are allowed to have “bad” days.
- Team members, no matter how difficult or challenging the work is, like being on the team. In fact, the more challenging the better!
There’s more that what I have posted above but, it’s a start. As a Scrum Master, when there is a lack of trust on the team, it’s vital to help the team establish it. It’s not an easy thing to do. I’m curious what others have done to help a team build trust.